After five days together in the Scottish Highlands, we said goodbye to Lottie and Guillaume *sniff... tear* and boarded a train from Inverness to Edinburgh.
But, before I say anything about Edinburgh, let me recommend that if you ever find yourself in Inverness, you should eat at The Mustard Seed... you will thank me. I promise.
Now, Edinburgh... it rained.

Actually it poured. We only had one full day to explore this absolutely beautiful city and it poured for a solid eight hours. Thankfully we had our rain gear and walked the streets completely decked out from head-to-toe in Gortex. Not glamorous or stylish, but we were dry. And even though it was cold and wet, and quite frankly, just gross, we still loved Edinburgh and would happily go back.
Three notes:
1. Mark loved haggis. Not the kind from the can but the real stuff. I thought it tasted a bit like meatloaf but without the ketchup. Apparently though, you can't bring haggis back into the States. Our country deems sheep lungs unfit for human consumption. What a shame.
2. Mark talked about Mary Queen of Scotts for most of the trip. I don't know where his obsession came from exactly, although I do remember him watching a movie about her before we left. We found him a little Mary Queen of Scotts ornament. He was pretty excited about it, and
3. It was in Edinburgh that I realized Europe always feels the same. Although every country is very different, just like Alabama is very different from California, there is a common thread that runs throughout. It took me five trips to numerous locals - Italy, Greece, Istanbul, Paris, the UK, Lisbon - to finally feel the common thread. Fittingly, this thought occurred to me while standing in the bathroom of our B&B and looking at the ridiculously small shower. I do not understand the European shower {thankfully someone else has already blogged about them :: read here and here}. While I think Europe does a lot of things really well, the bathroom is not one of them.
But, before I say anything about Edinburgh, let me recommend that if you ever find yourself in Inverness, you should eat at The Mustard Seed... you will thank me. I promise.
Now, Edinburgh... it rained.

Actually it poured. We only had one full day to explore this absolutely beautiful city and it poured for a solid eight hours. Thankfully we had our rain gear and walked the streets completely decked out from head-to-toe in Gortex. Not glamorous or stylish, but we were dry. And even though it was cold and wet, and quite frankly, just gross, we still loved Edinburgh and would happily go back.
Three notes:
1. Mark loved haggis. Not the kind from the can but the real stuff. I thought it tasted a bit like meatloaf but without the ketchup. Apparently though, you can't bring haggis back into the States. Our country deems sheep lungs unfit for human consumption. What a shame.
2. Mark talked about Mary Queen of Scotts for most of the trip. I don't know where his obsession came from exactly, although I do remember him watching a movie about her before we left. We found him a little Mary Queen of Scotts ornament. He was pretty excited about it, and
3. It was in Edinburgh that I realized Europe always feels the same. Although every country is very different, just like Alabama is very different from California, there is a common thread that runs throughout. It took me five trips to numerous locals - Italy, Greece, Istanbul, Paris, the UK, Lisbon - to finally feel the common thread. Fittingly, this thought occurred to me while standing in the bathroom of our B&B and looking at the ridiculously small shower. I do not understand the European shower {thankfully someone else has already blogged about them :: read here and here}. While I think Europe does a lot of things really well, the bathroom is not one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment