4.30.2012

Great Sand Dunes Natl. Park

The goal of our mini-road trip was to visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado.  I realize that sand dunes in the middle of the country are odd, especially since these dunes are actually the tallest of any in North America and there isn't an ocean or body of water anywhere in sight.  And if Mark were writing this blog he could tell you exactly how they got there.  And I'm sure he told me numerous times...  but I forgot.

When we arrived on Saturday is was a bit rainy and since lightning is a pretty big deal in Colorado {Colorado ranks #2 in lightning strikes, right behind Florida, and it's our top killer as far as nature is concerned}, I wimped out and decided to stay relatively close to the car.  We returned on Sunday morning for bluer skies and a very difficult walk to the top of the highest dune {hiking uphill in sand is like hiking up a stair climber.  Walking back down however is easy-peezy} before making our way back to Denver.



The dunes are located in the absolute middle of nowhere.  We stayed about 30 minutes away in the small town of Alamosa.  Our evening consisted of finger lickin' KFC and a walk around the town Walmart where we purchased a game of Yahtzee to play in our hotel.  We were asleep by 10.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I love a good game of yahtzee!