The rest of our trip home was spent in Tennessee. Although I took significantly fewer photos, it was equally as enjoyable. So here's a snapshot of how we spent our last week before ringing in the New Year.
First, my Aunt Paulette gave me a napkin for Christmas - an official White House Christmas Party napkin that was obviously folded up in someone's pocket at some point. I will put it away in a safe place, only to be used if royalty ever comes to dinner.

Also, I did a small amount of sewing. I decided early in 2010 that I wanted to make a quilt
{ambitious since I've never sewed in my life}. I ordered the fabric and have spent the past several months cutting out hundreds of 3.5 inch squares. Mark's mom taught me how to sew a block of four squares together using her brand new, ultra-fancy Janome 7700. It was exhilarating. I am now officially in the market for a much less amazing sewing machine, some white thread, and an iron.


We visited the Opryland Hotel in Nashville with Mark's family. This has become a Christmas tradition - each year we, along with thousands of others, flock to the hotel to marvel at the Christmas lights. You would have never known the place was devastated in a flood earlier in the year.


And we made a quick 24-hour trip to Knoxville to see our beloved friends. Even though our window of time was short, our friends really rallied and showed up en mass. We had a party of 12 at Tomato Head, followed the next day by a party of 9 at Hard Knox. We love our friends...and our pizza.


Then it was back to my family's for New Year's Eve, followed by a New Year's Day flight to Portland, which included a lengthy layover in Chicago.

Is it just me or has capitalism gotten out of hand? Now if you'll excuse me, I must go stay at a Hampton Inn. The handrail told me so.
2 comments:
Love the fabrics you used in your quilt! Can't wait to see how it progresses.
When your done, can you teach me how to do one? It was on my list of things to do before i turned 30 but has been moved to one of the things to do before I turn 60. Got the sewing machine already though if you want to borrow. Always liked that American tradition -though not sure if the sewing or just gossiping for hours on end was what really attracts me:-)
Post a Comment