7.04.2012

PDX :: Part 5 {the end}

And then there was the trip home.  I initially wasn't going to write about this, because quite frankly, I was mortified.  But a funny thing happens when you start talking about experiences that were really difficult - at some point they turn from horrible moments that you'd like to keep secret into just another random, slightly un-boring, story from your life.

I have this thing with my heart.  I don't know what it is exactly, and I doubt it will kill me anytime soon, but I wore a halter monitor several months ago and the results were abnormal. I have been meaning to follow up with my cardiologist and have an appointment in a couple of weeks. Anyway, the evening we were going to fly home, my heart decided to go all aflutter. Actually it went wild and crazy.  Crazy to the point where I actually had to get off the airplane.  An airplane that had just started to taxi away from the gate.  And I was in seat 38F, which is also known as the back row. So to add insult to injury, Mark and I had to walk past absolutely everyone to get off.  Slick.
 

{from left to right:  Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt Hood}

The flight attendant in the back, who doesn't win any medals for kindness in our books, very harshly said "In the future, you really need to tell us this before we back away from the gate".  Sorry lady.  My apologies for delaying this flight by 90 seconds.  Then the captain came out to check on me.  Seriously, I wanted to disappear.  And to make matters worse, one of my eyes was completely swollen from a stye or some other random irritant.  And I had a really bad cough.  Basically I looked like Quasimoto with a bad cold.  So I'm sure we sent up a few red flags.  But at least the lady seated next to us got the back row all to herself.


{one of the many forest fires raging across the west}

But we got off, they changed our flight for free, and about six hours later my heart returned to its more normal thump thump thump.  And all was fine after that.  And I did the right thing.  I had no business being on that flight - trapped at 30,000 feet for several hours.  But sometimes we want to appear stronger than we are so we push ourselves a little father than we should have gone.  But either way, we made it back safe and sound, just one day later than expected.  And our seats were upgraded.  And the mountains were out as we flew up and out of Portland, sending us off in a glorious fashion.

So thank you Frontier for the extra leg room on the flight back to Denver.  And for the unexpected exit row seats on our flight to Portland.  And for not losing our bags, which went on ahead of us.  And for not charging us extra money.  And for the gate attendant, who asked how I was feeling the next morning when we boarded our newly booked flight home.  While I must confess that I miss the free chocolate chip cookies, everything else was excellent!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Glad you got off the plane! Are you okay? Have you had your heart checked out? Take it from me and GET IT CHECKED PLEASE!! Sending prayers and love your way!
Angela