Our happenings lately haven't been earth shattering - a lot of work, some hug-filled yoga, time spent marveling at the snow through our window, and a few days earlier this week we watched season one of Downton Abbey {season two should arrive via Amazon.com on Tuesday!} ... to be honest, we are still easing into our new life in Denver and are doing it rather slowly. One can only move so fast when it's cold outside and oh so toasty in our apartment. But we have ventured out a time or two over the past couple of weeks...

In case you're curious what our neighborhood looks like when it hasn't snowed for a week...voila! I believe the word you are looking for is "brown"...

But no need to despair on the lack of greenery at the moment, this is the view on my drive to work each day. Not too shabby...

We've also been on a few very short hikes. This one to the Flat Irons in Boulder was more skating rink than hiking trail, but that's okay...

And then today we spent the afternoon wandering the halls of the Denver Museum of Science and Nature. I don't think I'd ever seen so many dioramas. I was amazed at the animals they managed to stuff and stick on display...


Seriously, it was awesome. Just look at these sweet, cuddly koalas...


We also spent an evening at Ikea because occasionally I need a whiff of inexpensive cinnamon buns to recharge my batteries. Apparently stuffed rats are all the rage in the kids section. Mark enjoyed lining them up in the most plague-like manner possible....


And lastly, one of our new favorite dinner spots is Whole Foods. We go for six dollar plates of spaghetti and watch people shop for groceries...

And because I feel the need to talk about myself a little longer, I decided to fill out a fun little survey/questionnaire that I found online somewhere. I'm sure my answers will be riveting.
aaaand begin!
1. What is your profession? I once was a geologist but now I'm a cartographer working for the most lovely of companies. And since only one percent of the population seems to know what the word cartographer means, I make maps.
2. How would you describe your style? I have no style unless "plain" is a style. Or cardigans and jeans is a style. I guess you could say my style is librarian meets girl who just went on a run.
3. What one make-up product can you not without? I honestly couldn't apply make-up if a gun were to my head. I've only worn it three times in my life. So I'll say soap and lotion. Actually, I could really benefit from soaking in a tub of lotion...in the jungle...on a rainy day...while running a humidifier. The other day we went to the zoo {it had snowed 14 inches the day before so this seemed the only logical place to go and wander about} and I sat in the rain forest exhibit praying my pores would soak up as much moisture as possible. Denver air is not kind to the skin.
4. What is your dream vacation? Several months traveling the Ring of Fire with friends meeting us along the way. The Galapagos, to Patagonia, to New Zealand, Australia, Bali, Thailand, Japan, Alaska, and ending in Oregon on an early summer's day where I can zip over to the farmer's market and pick up a carton of blackberries before flying back to Colorado.
5 What magazines do you subscribe to? Conde Nast Traveler and Sunset. And I used to subscribe to National Geographic Traveler but those show up on my desk free these days. Oh joy!
6. If you could have one special talent, what would it be? I would like to be fluent in several languages. I don't know if that's a talent; it's probably just learned, but still. It would be lovely. And to sleep sitting up. This talent would be wildly convenient on long airplane rides.
7. What is your favorite breakfast food? A bowl of cereal. I would honestly prefer this meal over anything. My mornings consist of me, a bowl of Crispex, a glass of peach mango juice, and Good Morning America.
8. If you could do anything, what is your dream job? To work for the company I do now three to four days a week, then spend my other time developing my own map series.
9. What is your guilty pleasure? "Tori and Dean, Home Sweet Hollywood". I love Tori Spelling. It's embarrassing. Please don't judge.
10. What is the best piece of advice you ever received and who gave it to you? I have received a lot of brilliant advice so instead I'll share one of my favorite things I've ever heard. It was on NPR. Terri Gross was interviewing Johnny Cash's daughter, also a famous musician, and asked her how she got to where she is. She said you just keep showing up. Amen! Sometimes you just have to show up.
1 comment:
OK, I laughed out loud at the rats. Seriously hilarious! And amen on the no makeup, I so suck at it!
Post a Comment