12.18.2011

Breckenridge

I confess that since moving to Denver two months ago, Mark and I have been a bit hermit-like. In Oregon we hit the ground running, knowing deep down we'd only be there a short while. We're easing into things a bit more slowly in Colorado. But on Saturday it was time to brave the elements and take our little four-cylinder car into the mountains for a one-day getaway. I mention the four-cylinder part because we were the car going 35 miles per hour on the interstate, even with the pedal pushed all the way to the floor. It's really quite embarrassing, but driving up a mountain is hard work for a little blue Mazda.

We ventured an hour and a half from Denver to the town of Breckenridge - a super cute ski town that's been hosting the Dew Tour this week, a snowboarding and skiing competition {my knowledge of these two sports is quite limited. I've heard of Shaun White and watched him in the Olympics. That's about it. Fortunately he was there competing..and won. Otherwise I was clueless}.










Two things:
1) I love cute little yellow Starbucks with snowboards outside, and
2) I will never own a sticker that says "Yay! Snow!" My sticker would read "Yay! It's 85 degrees outside!" Unfortunately I haven't needed one of those for over a year.





We rode the gondola from the town to the slopes, but because of my intense fear of chair lifts we had to take the more challenging route to the half-pipe - on foot, up the side of a mountain, at 10,000 feet. Gasp. Oxygen! Gasp.

At 10,000 feet you're practically knocking on the sun's door, so even though it was barely 20 degrees outside, it was quite comfortable...until the sun went down. Then it got ugly.



Below are four things you will never see me do:









The next time you see me, it's more likely I'll look like this:



Our next trip to the slopes will be in January when we venture west for ski lessons. It's time to embrace the snow...otherwise it's going to be a long winter.

3 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

I believe the sentiment you're searching for is "ew, snow." At least, that's what I have to say about the subject. Your pictures are gorgeous though. I love Colorado and snow and skiing in photography form.

Camels & Chocolate said...

Ooh I'm super jealous of your new proximity to all of the Colorado ski resorts! After having season passes and a cabin in Tahoe last winter, it's going to be a change having to fly to get to any decent skiing now being back in Nashville.

Things To Do said...

The only sports that I care about are the olympics so every four years, I'm glued to my seat watching the events. So I'm super jealous you saw this.

And true story - the one and only time I went skiing, I was on a chair lift and dropped my ski pole halfway up during the ride. I then had to disembark with only one pole (and let me tell you, I sucked at disembarking with two) and then wade my way through huge drifts to go get it. Total Fail!