8.10.2011

A Bendy Birthday Weekend

For the weekend we packed our bags and did a whirlwind trip to Bend, our favorite Oregon town. Technically we weren't in Bend but instead camped 30 miles west of town in the Cascades. I grumble about camping but do actually enjoy it ...except for the sleeping part. The being outside in nature part is great. And so is the cost. Our choices were a 200 dollar hotel or a 5 dollar campsite. So camping it was. Chemical toilets, sleeping on the ground, mosquitos ...plus we completely forgot to bring any toiletries. This includes a toothbrush. This wasn't my most glamorous birthday. But who cares.









Let me introduce you to some new volcanoes starting with Mt Bachelor...


Broken Top...


And the South Sister...


We did a 8-9 mile hike to the Green Lakes, which falls right between South Sister and Broken Top. It was a beautiful hike that followed a cascading creek and a giant lava flow for miles. We were on the eastern side of the Cascades, which is essentially a desert. The air was so dry here that just breathing would dehydrate you. During the day temperatures would reach the high 80's and the sun would absolutely bake you. At night it dropped into the low 40's and we about froze to death...hence the campfire in the pictures above.

And then there were the mosquitos. Any uncovered skin served as a feast for these vicious little creatures...



But interestingly, while Mark was getting eaten alive, I was oblivious. For some reason my body does not recognize a mosquito bite for the first 24 hours after being bitten. So I was in itch-less bliss. Then, Monday afternoon at work, 12 mosquito bites all started itching within a two hour period. Even more emerged on Tuesday. Then they go dormant. Then they all start itching again. And after about a week, they finally go away. Am I alone in this problem?

And on a non-itchy note, here's a little comment about Bend. I am convinced that the people here are all super athletes. While we were hiking we were passed by a man running the trail. He then passed us again. We later found out he had run a marathon that morning, drank 3 beers, and then decided to go on a 9 mile pleasure run. We, on the other hand, hiked, ate 2 cheeseburgers, and then lounged on a boat for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Things To Do said...

OK that runner is CRAZY. I would have died doing any one of his activities (is pleasure run an actual saying cause that sounds like an oxymoron to me). Well actually I think I could probably do the drinking beer and eating cheeseburgers. I majored in that at college.