2.20.2011

Some Ramblings

1. I consume an unhealthy number of flour tortillas. One of my favorite meals is rice, black beans, and a little salsa thrown into a flour tortilla...or three or four. Were I trapped on a desert island and given only once choice of food to eat, it would have to be the flour tortilla {I keep using the word "flour" because I think corn tortillas taste like rubber and would hate for there to be any confusion}. You could put anything in there and I'd eat it. Sand, tree leaves, a grub. All good. I'm not kidding.

2. My body is physically rejecting my profession. I'm in physical therapy for carpel tunnel, undergoing trigger therapy for the 30 knots in my arm and shoulder, and have developed a persistent twitch in my right eye. My sister-in-law recommended bananas.

3. On Thursday I stepped foot into a high school for the first time since I graduated from one 12 years ago. What is it about high school? Even before I went, I found myself seriously struggling to pick out an outfit {this basically means I was putting on different cardigans until I found one that seemed hip enough for high school}. But then I got there and couldn't help but smile as students walked past me. I felt like I possessed some amazing knowledge that they didn't: there is life after high school and it's much better than this. I felt so wise. It was nice.

4. I was at the high school as a volunteer tutor. Tutoring in 2011 looks like this: the kids sit at a computer going through a state approved lesson plan and I stand in the corner hoping they'll ask me a question. Whatever happened to sitting down with a piece of paper and a textbook, working thru lessons together? Any ideas I had about changing teen lives for the better started feeling a bit idealistic. You can't built a relationship with someone while they're staring at a screen.

2 comments:

Things to Do said...

I volunteer for a high school mentoring program which has specific projects that the kids and mentors work on together. The director started the program after she volunteered and had the same sort of experience you talk about.

And I'm with you on computer based injuries. Hope it gets better for you!

lindsay anne said...

this makes me miss you a lot...a whole lot. take good care.