11.28.2010

Arches NP

For three nights Mark and I called Moab, a small town in southeast Utah, home. The town of Moab isn't much but people don't come here to spend time in town - it's all the stuff nearby that's the attraction. This place served as a perfect desert oasis while blizzards where whirling about around us. Not a bad place to spend some time. On our first day we drove two miles north of town to Arches National Park. It was cold and insanely windy {gusts up to 50 mph}, but given that it's usually 100+ plus here without a shade tree in sight, I'm not complaining.

The main attraction in Arches NP are the large, stone arches, of course. Supposedly there are over 2,000 in the Park. We're not exactly sure what the Park considers an arch {we saw less than 20}, but there's no disputing Delicate Arch, the Park's main attraction. They have a viewing area you can drive to but it doesn't do it justice. If you're ever there, we highly recommend walking the short, 1.5 mile trail, to the arch instead.

Mark and I camouflaged ourselves in the park, cleverly disguised as arches. Can you spot us? It may be tricky.

Early morning or late evening are the best times to experience Arches. The low sun turns the rocks and surrounding mountains into new shades of brilliant color. Unfortunately I don't have a tripod so 98 percent of the pictures I took were blurry. Mark's constantly telling me, "It's a camera, not a maraca!". Silly Mark. Always the comedian.

No comments: