8.23.2010

Roger Federer...and other things in Ohio

What did I do this weekend...

First, I saw this guy play tennis. My second Roger Federer encounter. And while this particular match, which took place in Cincinnati, lacked the ambiance of my 2008 US Open experience, it was still quite exciting.

Here's Mark, pondering the tennis match, or more accurately, why Federer decided to wear pink. (just an FYI: Federer played Baghdatis. Had Baghdatis not beaten Nadal in the quarters, we would have seen Federer play Nadal in this semi-final match. And had that happened, I would have been hyperventilating...but it didn't. And Federer went on to win the tournament. Clap Clap)

But let's move back in time, before the match, because before I could enjoy that, I had to survive a different place: the National Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I was brought here as a kid, against my will, and it is actually my first childhood memory of being bored.

Mark likes to read any and all text in museums. Based on my calculations, had we continued at his speed, it would have taken us 13 hours to complete the museum. Thankfully they closed at 5.

I appreciated the fact that Mark color-coordinated with the displays.

...and here we are hitting the mid-afternoon stretch, amid a 3 hour tour... where the guide talked about every plane! It was here where I mastered the art of looking interested while being completely checked out mentally.

On Friday, before planes and tennis, we enjoyed what can only be called Fun on the Farm. Mark's in Springfield, Ohio for a bit, the reason for this Ohio weekend extravaganza, and the big to-do in Springfield is Young's Dairy. There's putt-putt (cleverly called Udders and Putters), batting cages, a petting zoo, and all the cheese and ice cream a man could want.

We ended the weekend with a little trip to King's Island. I was sidelined after a couple hours by the Vortex, my coaster nemesis. A few stomach-curling loopty-loops put me on the bench. So that was our weekend. I'm now back in the mountain lands. Mark's still hanging out in the corn and soy bean fields of Ohio. I can now officially check Ohio off my list and wonder what random place Mark's job will take me next.

No comments: