6.16.2010

Road Trip :: The Sound

On our last evening in Savannah, after literally staying inside all day to escape the heat, we rented kayaks and ventured into the Sound. The closest we'd ever come to kayaking was an uneventful afternoon of canoeing in a small lake near Nashville. Mark did most of the rowing. Apparently that experience is still too fresh because he immediately requested we get separate kayaks, as opposed to the delightful two-seater. Apparently he didn't like my paddle twice then let your husband do the rest canoeing style.

The trip from the dock toward the Savannah River went against the tide and was quite the challenge for my spindly little arms. On the flip side, going back in was a breeze. I was like Speedy Gonzalas.

While the birds were lovely, the part that thrilled me the most were the dolphins. There were at least 30, maybe more, and they would come right beside our kayaks - so close you could look into their eyes as they came up for air. It was insane.

At low tide you can actually dock at that lighthouse in the distance and walk around. As opposed to fighting the tide or getting steamrolled by a boat, I preferred to frolic about the Sound instead. While there I also collected a bit of trash and returned it to shore. Apparently Loggerhead turtles, which are endangered, confuse plastic bags with jelly fish. Recycle people! Pete, I'm talking to you. The turtles need you.

It was awesome. The next day we packed up and headed back to Tennessee, stopping first in Macon to visit Mark's aunts and uncles. Ten hours later we were home...with a suitcase that smelled of dead fish. Nothing says good trip like stinky luggage.

Travel Tip: Should you ever go to Tybee Island, or anywhere near Savannah, I can't recommend North Island Kayak enough. Technically they close at 6 each night but someone stuck around late so we could go out. Granted there was a concert next door, but still...

3 comments:

Dana said...

so glad you got a few snaps of the dolphins! It looks like a magical evening! You have sold me on Savannah!

Evan and Marta said...

Great pictures, as always. I love the story about the dolphins.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That sounds like it was incredible! I would have loved to kayak with the dolphins!