2.14.2010

Tracy's Craft Corner

Let me preface this blog with two comments: 1) I am not crafty, and 2) I am completely indifferent to Valentine's Day. However, because I didn't make Mark a homemade ornament at Christmas (a story for another time), I thought I would make him something for today.

The picture below was my goal and inspiration. I found the idea here. Cute, huh?
A few notes from my time spent in the land of Arts and Crafts:
1) Problem: My local craft store does not sell wooden blocks. Fortunately there was a chocolate store next door so any immediate concerns I had quickly dissipated. Basically, what I lacked in craft supplies, I more than made up for in chocolate covered strawberries and other tasty treats.
2) Hollowing out a light bulb is really hard.
3) Making crafts requires patience, a trait I do not possess.
4) How men who build ships in a bottle keep themselves from driving off a cliff is a mystery. They obviously haven't tried placing a heart-shaped piece of wire into a light bulb, and
5) Unless you want your light bulb covered in smudges, wash your fingers when eating before mentioned strawberries.

Anyway, I persevered, and with a little ingenuity, created this masterpiece:
And I laughed really hard when giving it to Mark, then told him he was my "rock" and my "light", which only made me laugh harder. Then I dropped the silly thing and it broke. I spent another 30 minutes fixing it, and now it's sitting on our bookshelf downstairs where I'm not allowed to touch it. I don't think I'll be guest blogging on any craft sites soon. Oh well.

Happy Valentine's Day.

3 comments:

Dana said...

That is such a cute idea! I like the rock change you did.

lindsay anne said...

awesome. and the rock is genius! and the photo of it is pretty great, too!

happy heart day! hope you got some pizza!

Angela said...

I love the fact that you tried so hard and then you laughed and broke it! LOL...sounds like something I would do. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and lots of pizza. :)