Cartogram: A map where territories are re-sized according to the subject of interest.
My journey to create a cartogram has involved complicated formulas, scripts, and some very frustrating moments with GIS software, but I'll spare you all that. After a week of research and a little luck, I finally cracked the code and am now completely obsessed with creating these types of maps. They're crazy and bold and depending on the data you use, can look completely ridiculous. Here are my efforts over the past week.



And if you can tell me what the image below represents, than ten blog bucks and a special Merry Christmas to you. I realize it's small. Squint. Or simply click on it. With luck it should enlarge.

5 comments:
I want to be you when I grow up. This kind of stuff was my favorite part of college.
My guess is population density, or, since Florida, New York, Texas, and California are the biggest, maybe it's the states in which I least desire to live.
If it were population density, than the District of Columbia and New Jersey would be the largest. I'll give you the special Merry Christmas because you are so very close, but I have to withhold the blog bucks.
My guess is size in square miles, least to greatest.
Total population by state/territory?
Merry Christmas!
10 blog bucks and a special merry christmas to Peter. Well done brother. I have taught you well.
Post a Comment