8.24.2009

A Knox County Weekend

Usually our weekends are spent getting out of town, or so it seems, but this past Saturday/Sunday were devoted entirely to Knox County. We headed downtown on Saturday to attend a genealogy workshop at the East Tennessee Historical Museum*. Because we arrived a bit too early, we spent several hours cruising the streets and browsing the farmer's market. Sunday we headed to House Mountain (the highest point in Knox County) for a surprisingly good workout. I had low expectations, thinking this would just be a stroll thru the woods. I was wrong.

The weekend recap (photo-style):

We strolled the streets of downtown.

And eyed some gelato from this store window.

We saw a group of protestors**

Then woke up Sunday and trekked up House Mountain, seeing East TN-style views of the county below (East TN = hazy)

And stopped to hug a tree on the way up.

The end.


* The genealogy workshop taught me that I am southern to the core (and practically 100% Tennessean). In the 1700's, my ancestors moved from Virginia/North Carolina to Middle Tennessee and haven't budged since. Not until me and my brother at least - we're first generation East Tennessean's. Progress. I can only assume there are little flecks of fried okra and cornbread deep inside my DNA.

** I must say that of all the countries I have visited with socialized medicine (the UK, France, Italy, Canada), I have never noticed a shortage of healthy grandma's. These 'Save Grandma' signs are a bit ridiculous.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be an Alabamian if you have trouble spelling Tennessean.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Tracy

Dana said...

love the picture of you hugging the tree! Fine observation about socialized medicine!

Lottie said...

Re: socialized medicine.... my Grandma turned 90 and still lives independently. My other Grandma with kidney failure at 87 years old was recently transferred from hospital to her living room at home (by choice) and is visited by carers, nurses and doctors on a daily basis all paid for by the National Health Service. I don't usually get all serious like this (T can vouch for this) but on the off chance that man is reading this blog....!

Tracy and Mark said...

thanks for the public service announcement dear lottie :)

and goodness, i hope that man isn't reading my blog. creepy!!

long live the grandma's!!!