The weather in Knoxville over the past week has been phenomenal (80 in July - Crazy!), so even though we were a bit tired from our whirlwind trip to Atlanta, we couldn't let Saturday pass without a trip to the GSMNP. Usually we pick a trail from one of our trusty guidebooks (always a sure bet), but on this particular day I picked a trail at random off a map (actually a combination of four trails that would loop us back to our car).
A view of the park from Foothills Pkwy.

Our path is highlighted in purple. 7.8 miles of Smoky Mountain goodness!
For the first 3 miles the trail looked like the image above (uphill with no breaks in the trees). However, what we worried would become the most boring hike on record quickly turned around. At the 3.5 mile mark, I was stung by a wasp (and learned I'm not allergic - hallelujah!). Next we encountered two spots where fallen trees had completely blocked the trail. In an effort to climb through the brush, Mark must have stepped on a party of ticks, because for the next 4 miles he was constantly flicking them off his legs. Then came the challenge - Abram's Creek cuts the Hatcher Mtn Trail in half (unexpectedly I might add) and why the Park Service hasn't seen a need to place a bridge there, I don't know. The video below shows me just starting to cross (shakily). At places the water went up mid-thigh, the rocks were incredibly slippery (and painful), and because of the current, it was impossible to see anything. I can't say it was the most enjoyable moment of my life...and it actually got much more difficult after the camera was turned off.
But thankfully we made it. By the end of the hike my legs had turned to Jell-O and Mark was still pulling off ticks. What started as a little walk in the woods turned into something much more...an adventure. Fantastic.
4 comments:
wow you would think that it would be noted somewhere that the trail is bisected by water! geez! The video was scary! I know I would have fallen! And ummmm gross about the ticks!
i;ve crossed in the same spot before but with a bigger group. we held hands, formed a circle, and walked in circles to cross.
you have to do the same thing right beneath the falls...that current really will knock you right down.
i heart chacos and my GSMNP!
re Lindsay:
I remember saying multiple times while crossing that I'm never coming into the park again without my Chacos.
Good for you. I need Jello legs! I know, get off my butt and move! Love you both - your crazy hikers.
Aunt Paulette
Post a Comment