5.19.2009

I Heart My City

For several months, National Geographic has been featuring "I Heart My City" on its Traveler Magazine blog.  People fill out a questionnaire about the joys of their town, include a few pics, and send it in hoping their town will make the cut.  I've decided to do two for this blog.  The first is for my hometown of Knoxville.  The second, which will come later, is for D.C.  So, Knoxville first....

I Heart My City:  Tracy's Knoxville


The first place I take a visitor from out of town is the Tennessee Theater for a concert, movie, or play.

When I crave spaghetti, I head to to Bravo's.  If I crave chocolate, I go to Bradley's.  If it's cheap frozen yogurt I want, I'm heading to Menchie's.

To escape K-town, I head to the Smokey's for a day of hiking.

For complete quiet, I can hide away at Ijam's Nature Center (unfortunately no one's ever there).

If I want to see an independent film or something less mainstream, I go to Downtown West.

If you come to my city, get your picture taken by the Sunsphere.  Not only is it a large ball on a stick, but it was also featured in an episode of The Simpson's.

If you have to order one thing off the menu from Tomato Head, let it be one of their many sandwiches.  And if you head to Pasta Trio's in the Old City, eat lots of free bread, but by all costs, avoid a dish with their marinara sauce.



Mast General is my one-stop shop for great stocking stuffers.

Locals know to skip Kingston Pike and head down the side roads instead.

When I'm feeling cash-strapped I go almost anywhere.  My city's a bargain!  But if I'm really in a financial crunch, I go to El Charo, Soccer Taco, or one of the other great, cheap Mexican joints.

For a huge splurge I go out of town.  Most of the money I make is spent getting out of town and going on vacation!

The best vantage point to see my city is from the top of Neyland Stadium.

If my city were a celebrity it would be Brad Renfro - peaked at an early age and then died young due to bad choices...this is very reminiscent of the history of Knoxville, unfortunately.

The most random thing about my city is all the roads, especially for a medium-sized town.  You want interstates - we got tons!  Highways - check!  Massive interchanges - check!

In my city, an active day outdoors involves heading to the mountains or a nearby lake.

My city's best museum is the Knoxville Museum of Art (I'm fairly sure this is one of my city's only museums).


My favorite jogging/walking route is in Sequoyah Hills.

For a night of live music, check out Sundown in the City on Thursday's during late spring.

To find out what's going on at night and on the weekends, read the Metro Pulse.



You can tell if someone is from my city if they're wearing Volunteer Orange.

In the spring, you should load up on allergy medicine.

In the summer, befriend someone with a pool.  And don't forget to check out Boom's Day on Labor Day.

In the fall you should go to a UT football game.


In the winter you should pray for snow.  It happens occasionally, just not very often.  Also, you should head to Market Square and ice skate on the outdoor rink.  Bring your own skates though.  I was informed by a friend that theirs will make your feet "smell like butt."

A hidden gem in my city is its downtown, especially Market Square and the Old City.  Nothing fancy but it's got some character and parking is super cheap.

For a great breakfast joint, try the Gourmet Market.

Don't miss the Dogwood Arts Festival in the spring.

Just outside my city (and over the mountains), you can visit Asheville, NC.

The best way to see my city is by car (unfortunately).  Or if you're lucky, snag a boat and head up the Tennessee River.

My city has the most men in baseball caps.

My city has the most women in sweatpants and other pajama-like attire.

The best book about my city is Knoxville, Tennessee:  A Mountain City in the New South, by William Bruce Wheeler.

You can tell a lot about my city from Interstate 40, mainly because it cuts right through it.

When I think about my city, the song that comes to mind is Rocky Top.

If my city were a pet, it would be a hound dog.

If I didn't live in my city, I'd live in D.C. (still to come...)

If you have kids, you won't want to miss Fort Kid.

The 1982 World's Fair could only happen in my city.

So have a seat, stay awhile.

3 comments:

lindsay anne said...

I love this...and I love my [our] city, too! I may follow suit...because I have just a few different opinions.

Yea for Knoxville! and Yea for DC!

Dana said...

This was such a neat post!

Amanda Rose said...

Knoxville isn't really all that bad. I'm a fan for sure. I like your post about Knoxvegas. You should add ths sky box, the bar in the sunsphere. It's a must for visitors in my opinion....