3.24.2009

The Megafishes Project

Throughout the year National Geographic hosts a series of lectures and tonight's covered a topic so foreign to Mark and I that we must share. Megafishes. These freshwater fish must be larger than 200 lbs or longer than six feet. Zeb Hogan, who conducted the lecture and is a NGS explorer, is in charge of the Megafish Project, which is attempting to slow the extinction of these gigantic fish (70% are currently at risk of extinction). Most of the largest fish are found in the Mekong and Yangtze rivers, both in Asia, but no worries - there are 4 giants here in the US (of course I can't remember them at the moment but will put a link at the bottom of this post so you can learn more - Dana, one of them lives in Texas). Below are two pictures from his talk. All we could say was "Wow".

A giant freshwater stingray in Thailand (Zeb's in the ball cap).

Possibly the largest freshwater fish ever caught - a catfish in SE Asia. This one was unfortunately dead when this picture was shot, and eaten shortly after.

The links below can lead you to more information.

1 comment:

Dana said...

lives in TX like I could go feed him crackers or lives here like I would have to go searching for him?