3.01.2009

Mail & Lincoln

On Saturday, Mark and I got a late start as DC tourists (the role we play on weekends), however we still managed to squeeze in a few hours at the US Postal Museum before attending a play at Ford's Theater. Mark's been sick for the past couple of days which led to our late start. Even though he awoke Saturday with a fever, he still wanted to go out (what a trooper - or a madman. It's a toss-up).

Stop 1: US Postal Museum
This museum was surprisingly entertaining for a girl who hates museums. It's incredibly interactive and since we were there for under 3 hours, it held my attention. I really enjoyed the display of international mailboxes. I take pictures of these when we travel abroad so was interested to see a few.

Stop 2: Ford's Theater
Several weeks ago I purchased tickets for us to attend a play at the historic Ford's Theater. The play, called 'The Heavens are Hung in Black', chronicled Lincoln's life in 1862 during the Civil War. It was actually really good, although we both admitted that the setting was a tad creepy.

Mark and I are a sucker for gift shops. We rarely buy anything but love to browse. We found some Lincoln top hats and scary Lincoln and Mary Todd dolls (not pictured). It's amazing what people buy.

Pictured below is the booth where Lincoln was assassinated. No one sits there (even if it was allowed, I'm not sure anyone would want to). They also have the coat he was wearing that night on display in the lobby - bloodstains and all.

And then across the street is the house where Lincoln died.

While walking to the metro after the play, we got pelted with frozen rain. So much for our brief "warm" spell. It's back below freezing and we're currently under a winter storm warning.

No comments: