We have been existing in a slight state of crazy the past several weeks, but California was back on my mind today {I believe my exact words to Mark were "Promise we'll never let a year go by where we don't dip our toes into California's sweet, sweet soil"} So after a couple of days sitting poolside in Palm Springs, and after a brief pit stop in beautiful Malibu, we made our way to Santa Barbara. And we all fell in love with this beautiful California town.

The picture above is of me in a bowling alley. Not at a rave. Had I remembered about the black lights, I would NOT have worn a white hoodie.
A good portion of our time in Santa Barbara was spent pretending that we actually lived in this lovely little town {and by "our time" I mean me and Lottie's time. Mark and Guillaume were too busy trying to create a sundial with some rocks and a water bottle}. We picked out our homes - small and right across the street from one another - and at one point pretended to meet up in front of Lottie's house, then had a make believe conversation about "the kids" and life while walking across the grassy lawn to La Super-Rica, the best Mexican food in town. We acted as though we did this every day while the kids napped or were off at school. It was an incredibly bittersweet couple of minutes and I'm writing it down so I don't ever forget.
And La Super-Rica was GOOD! We went twice because it was just so yummy. Also, did you know that oranges and lemons can both grow on the same tree?

On our final night in Santa Barbara we signed up for an art class at The Painted Cabernet. It's an evening of wine and painting and this particular night's theme was "Spanish Garden". Everyone paints the same thing while the instructor gives you step-by-step instructions. I haven't painted in ages, which is unfortunate because I really enjoy it. However I must admit that it was a bit awkward carrying those paintings through LAX for our flight back to Denver. People kept looking at them expecting some great piece of art. They were sorely disappointed.
Fun Geography Fact: Santa Barbara is the only town in the US to have the letter "a" appear in its name five times.
{Guillaume's photos : 6-8, 10}

The picture above is of me in a bowling alley. Not at a rave. Had I remembered about the black lights, I would NOT have worn a white hoodie.
A good portion of our time in Santa Barbara was spent pretending that we actually lived in this lovely little town {and by "our time" I mean me and Lottie's time. Mark and Guillaume were too busy trying to create a sundial with some rocks and a water bottle}. We picked out our homes - small and right across the street from one another - and at one point pretended to meet up in front of Lottie's house, then had a make believe conversation about "the kids" and life while walking across the grassy lawn to La Super-Rica, the best Mexican food in town. We acted as though we did this every day while the kids napped or were off at school. It was an incredibly bittersweet couple of minutes and I'm writing it down so I don't ever forget.
And La Super-Rica was GOOD! We went twice because it was just so yummy. Also, did you know that oranges and lemons can both grow on the same tree?

On our final night in Santa Barbara we signed up for an art class at The Painted Cabernet. It's an evening of wine and painting and this particular night's theme was "Spanish Garden". Everyone paints the same thing while the instructor gives you step-by-step instructions. I haven't painted in ages, which is unfortunate because I really enjoy it. However I must admit that it was a bit awkward carrying those paintings through LAX for our flight back to Denver. People kept looking at them expecting some great piece of art. They were sorely disappointed.
Fun Geography Fact: Santa Barbara is the only town in the US to have the letter "a" appear in its name five times.
{Guillaume's photos : 6-8, 10}
1 comment:
Some of my favorite places, too! Santa Barbara definitely has my heart.
Post a Comment