Mark and I returned last night from two weeks vacationing in Europe - our fifth trip across the Atlantic in the past eight years. I confess I'm a bit of a Europhile, which, despite the extremely unkind exchange rate, is one reason we keep returning. The other being that one of my closest friends lives in London and we take turns visiting each other on our home continents... But before we met up with our friends in the UK, we made a little pit stop in Iceland compliments of Icelandair, an airline that not only flies direct from Denver to Reykjavik, but also allows you to stay up to seven days free* before continuing on to your final destination.
* The layover is the only free thing in Iceland. This tiny country, population 300,000, is EXPENSIVE! For example, if you were to purchase nine postcards plus nine stamps, it will cost you a hefty 25 dollars. I know because I did this... consider those postcards your Christmas presents.
Some bullet points about Iceland ::
- We were there for two days, which was plenty of time for us to explore Reykjavik, take a dip in the Blue Lagoon, and tour the "Golden Circle" outside of town.
- Almost all the buildings are built out of concrete or tin. There are basically no trees on the island so wood isn't really used as a building material.
- Their coca colas taste really good. Natural sugars and some of the cleanest water in the world creates some seriously delicious fizzy goodness.
- I do not like oriental noodle soup, which I tried for the first time in Reykjavik.
- There is lots of graffiti. But it's more like art than vandalism, which I really liked.
- The island is inhabited by trolls.
- If I were Icelandic, my name would be "Tracy Bobbydottir" and Mark would be "Mark Fredson"
- We were able to drive across the North American / European plate boundary. Quite the thrill for a geologist like Mark.

- And that picture of soup... it will be talked about forever between Mark and I. It was lamb stew and it was AMAZING. And seeing as to how there are three sheep for every one person in Iceland, I imagine they will never run out of such deliciousness.
* The layover is the only free thing in Iceland. This tiny country, population 300,000, is EXPENSIVE! For example, if you were to purchase nine postcards plus nine stamps, it will cost you a hefty 25 dollars. I know because I did this... consider those postcards your Christmas presents.
Some bullet points about Iceland ::
- We were there for two days, which was plenty of time for us to explore Reykjavik, take a dip in the Blue Lagoon, and tour the "Golden Circle" outside of town.
- Almost all the buildings are built out of concrete or tin. There are basically no trees on the island so wood isn't really used as a building material.
- Their coca colas taste really good. Natural sugars and some of the cleanest water in the world creates some seriously delicious fizzy goodness.
- I do not like oriental noodle soup, which I tried for the first time in Reykjavik.
- There is lots of graffiti. But it's more like art than vandalism, which I really liked.
- The island is inhabited by trolls.
- If I were Icelandic, my name would be "Tracy Bobbydottir" and Mark would be "Mark Fredson"
- We were able to drive across the North American / European plate boundary. Quite the thrill for a geologist like Mark.

- And that picture of soup... it will be talked about forever between Mark and I. It was lamb stew and it was AMAZING. And seeing as to how there are three sheep for every one person in Iceland, I imagine they will never run out of such deliciousness.
3 comments:
Again, beautiful pictures.
Thanks for the expensive postcard.
Katniss likes lamb stew too.
Question - Did you buy those slippers cause I feel that they are all sorts of awesome. I'm about 99% sure I would wear those in public.
Gorgeous photos! Seriously love the picture with the stained glass. Can't wait to see the photos of the rest of your trip!
I don't know if I knew that Mark was a geologist, but my MIL was one her whole career (she led a team of 300 at the state of CA), and I always thought she would love Iceland, too.
Post a Comment