...also known as the night we met Phil.
I have a very short 2012 Denver Bucket List. It really only includes going to Red Rocks for a concert and going to a Denver Bronco's game this fall {preferably one at the beginning of the season before it either a) starts snowing, or b) Peyton Manning gets hurt}. So when I found out that the Counting Crows were coming to Red Rocks, I booked us two of the cheap seats and last Thursday checked the Red Rocks off my list.

This concert venue is fantastic {but be forewarned - the acoustics are great up close to the stage but not in the back where we decided to sit for most of the show} and incredibly close to where we live. We left our apartment ten minutes before it started and were parked and seated before anyone took the stage. And parking is free! And you can bring in snacks. Fruits and vegetables, although it states somewhere that the vegetables must be sliced. Odd.

When I was in college I loved the Counting Crows {and apparently I have seen them in concert before, although I don't remember it. A friend reminded me of this on Facebook the other day. I saw so many concerts in college that apparently they are all a blur at this point.} Thanks to my college job {selling tickets to every music venue in town, working for bands as they rolled into town, and getting tickets to pretty much everything else} it's safe to say that music defined my college experience. And this concert took me back... to 1999 riding around town in my Dodge Neon with the radio blaring. Therefore this particular evening was all blissfully nostalgic.

But like I said earlier, this was also the night we met Phil. Phil is from Knoxville and was here on business. He lives in our old part of town and works at a church Mark attended as a kid. He's been a missionary in China and Thailand and now travels around the country helping churches establish more of a mission-based focus. And he was incredibly nice and we talked to him for most of the concert. So, while we have found it difficult to make friends thus far in Denver, we have now made a new friend in Knoxville.

I have a very short 2012 Denver Bucket List. It really only includes going to Red Rocks for a concert and going to a Denver Bronco's game this fall {preferably one at the beginning of the season before it either a) starts snowing, or b) Peyton Manning gets hurt}. So when I found out that the Counting Crows were coming to Red Rocks, I booked us two of the cheap seats and last Thursday checked the Red Rocks off my list.

This concert venue is fantastic {but be forewarned - the acoustics are great up close to the stage but not in the back where we decided to sit for most of the show} and incredibly close to where we live. We left our apartment ten minutes before it started and were parked and seated before anyone took the stage. And parking is free! And you can bring in snacks. Fruits and vegetables, although it states somewhere that the vegetables must be sliced. Odd.

When I was in college I loved the Counting Crows {and apparently I have seen them in concert before, although I don't remember it. A friend reminded me of this on Facebook the other day. I saw so many concerts in college that apparently they are all a blur at this point.} Thanks to my college job {selling tickets to every music venue in town, working for bands as they rolled into town, and getting tickets to pretty much everything else} it's safe to say that music defined my college experience. And this concert took me back... to 1999 riding around town in my Dodge Neon with the radio blaring. Therefore this particular evening was all blissfully nostalgic.

But like I said earlier, this was also the night we met Phil. Phil is from Knoxville and was here on business. He lives in our old part of town and works at a church Mark attended as a kid. He's been a missionary in China and Thailand and now travels around the country helping churches establish more of a mission-based focus. And he was incredibly nice and we talked to him for most of the concert. So, while we have found it difficult to make friends thus far in Denver, we have now made a new friend in Knoxville.

2 comments:
JEALOUS. CCs are my FAVORITE--back in middle/high school and even now. I've seen them a few times live, and then I wound up having to cover a charity event for People mag last year in SF, and lo, they were there as the entertainment to do an acoustics set.
Dying to go to Red Rocks! It looks like the most scenic venue ever.
Going to Red Rocks is TOTALLY on my Concert To Do List as well. I've been obsessed since seeing the U2 Live at Red Rocks.
And apparently it's nice to know that once you start with dreds some keep with it. I hate those fair weather dread wearers. :)
Post a Comment