6.22.2012

First Official Hike of the Season

I'm embarrassed to admit we haven't done any real hiking yet this season {gasp - I know!}.  I really have no excuses either.  I just haven't been in the mood to get eaten by mountain lions or engulfed in flames or slip down a hillside covered in snow.  We have done many meandering strolls but nothing that's really tested my lung's ability to keep me alive in this environment of limited O2.  That was all remedied a couple of weekends ago when we went to Boulder and did a four mile hike up the Flat Irons.  And I thought my heart would pound out of my chest {apparently I've gotten a bit lax in my physical fitness since leaving Portland}.  But it felt good.



From the top we could look over Boulder and beyond.  Flat, isn't it?


There really aren't any good pictures of either of us on this trip.  We were too busy trying not to die.  Actually that's not true.  Mark breezed up the mountain.  I was the one struggling.  I blame the newsworthy High Park Fire for making the air a bit difficult to breath {you can see the smoke in the picture below, just barely but still - pretty astonishing actually since it's 70 miles north of where this picture was taken}.  


In other news, tomorrow we're leaving for a long weekend in Portland and I am SO excited.  I timed our flight so I would arrive at Saturday's farmer's market just as they roll out all the fresh berries.  This of course means we're getting up at 330 in the morning to catch our flight but sometimes one must make sacrifices when blackberries are involved.  All this berry eating will be followed by time with friends - ice cream and BBQs* and church and evenings eating dinner with people we hold so dear {I am honestly humbled by how jam packed our schedule is}.  And it will be 60 degrees and raining.  And since I've only seen it rain twice in Colorado {and it only lasted for five minutes}, and because it's 100 degrees right now, I will be welcoming Oregon's rainy weather with open arms.


*We learned while living in Portland that "BBQ" means "grilling out".  People say that in Denver too. "Let's have a BBQ."  To me, BBQ means pulled pork and baked beans and hushpuppies picked up at Buddy's or another delicious place in the south.  These people don't know what they're talking about.

1 comment:

Camels & Chocolate said...

So beautiful! I will forever be in awe of everything Colorado has to offer. Then again, Tennessee isn't so bad either ;-)