My parents were in town the past week, which has kept Mark and I quite busy. This was their first visit to the Pacific Northwest and the weather did not disappoint - it was overcast and rainy for almost the whole week. At least now they know I'm not making this stuff up. They did some exploring on their own, plus we took them to our usual "let's take the out-of-towners here" places, along with a few new spots.



Last Saturday could really be called "the day we overdosed on fruit". Between the farmers market and the "Fruit Loop", which is a road that winds through some of the most abundant farmland in Oregon, we were berry'd out. Strawberries, blackberries, cherries...belly ache.







This picture makes me laugh. I don't know what's wrong with us.

Sunday it poured rain and when it rains in Portland you might as well go to the coast, where it rains all the time anyway.
This is how we summer in Oregon.






We also drove up to Mt St Helen's, which is about 2 hours north of Portland. The mountain was out briefly before getting swallowed up by clouds. The volcanoes were a bit shy this past week...



The folks left on Wednesday and it's been back to our normal routine since. Work, too much television, letting our apartment become a gigantic mess... We were so excited to have them come out. Our scheduled visitor list has now whittled to zero so come on Grandmother and Pete... the calendar is wide open and your window of mediocre to occasionally nice weather is closing. By early October we will be transitioning into the completely depressing.
4 comments:
I would totally summer in Oregon if I had lovely umbrellas like that! Seriously those must be the funnest umbrellas ever!
And I love the one petal on the sunflower that just refuse to lie down with the other ones. And this is kind of a stretch - But It kind of reminds me of the little pinky that Dr. Evil puts to his mouth in the Austin Power movies.
Those are some more amazing pictures. The one with you and your parents is a great shot of all of you.
The pic of you and Mark and the lavender is very American Gothic- love it!
These photos are gorgeous! Did you happen to stumble upon any huckleberries while you were there? I'd never had any until our time in Montana and Wyoming this summer, and now I am OBSESSED. And a friend in Portland says you can get them up there, as well!
Post a Comment