#16: Macleay Trail, Forest Park, Portland (06/03/11)
Mark and I live very close to Forest Park, which is this huge, eight-mile long park west of downtown Portland. The park has over 70 miles of trails, but this particular trail is probably less than four miles. We did part of it awhile back, but last Friday afternoon, on a particularly lovely day, we did the other couple of miles. I don't really consider this a hike...it feels more like going on a walk in the park down the road.

The trail ends at Pittock Mansion. From here, on a clear day, you can see views of downtown and Mt Hood in the distance...along with at least one couple getting their pictures taken. I'm convinced this is the top spot for engagement photos in Portland.


This is the only photo I have of either of us. And since I don't like the idea of doing a post with neither of us present, here you go. If Mark could talk to you in this picture, he would say how much he loves volcanoes. I would probably say how much I wish they'd tear down "Big Pink" - that tall and out-of-place building in downtown. And then I would say "Oh look, there's my office" and point to the left. But I'm not in this photo so I guess I shouldn't be talking.

We wandered off the trail for a bit, strolling the streets around the West Hills, prime real estate in Portland. Unfortunately there isn't exactly any flat ground on which to build these homes. The house pictured below is sitting entirely on stilts. The only thing touching real ground is the tip of the deck, which they purposely extended out that far so they could get to the street. I'm actually standing on the street taking this photo, so don't get disillusioned into thinking there is a front yard either. It's really quite wacky.

This house is not unique. A lot of houses are levitating off the cliff side. Probably not the most brilliant idea considering this area is right on top of a fault. And the soil is constantly over-saturated. Fingers crossed in an earthquake.
1 comment:
While I'm generally not scared of heights or things of that nature, there is no way that I would stay in this place!
Post a Comment