6.02.2011

60 in 60, Take 15

#15: McCall Nature Preserve, Columbia River Gorge (05/28/11)
Even though I had spent less than six waking hours in our apartment since returning from Alabama and Tennessee, we were back on the road for Memorial Day weekend. I was tuckered but Mark was ready for a trip he'd been planning for months: the John Day Fossil Beds in eastern Oregon. But this post isn't about those. Instead it's about the hike we did on our way to the fossil beds; a hike on the far eastern end of the Columbia River Gorge.

The McCall Nature trail is only about 3 miles but is really quite delightful. It is right on the edge of where the rainy west meets the high desert of eastern Oregon. And in late May the wildflowers are in full bloom. All in all, it was a a lovely stop to stretch our legs and soak in some views before continuing along our way.




It's okay to throw away your trash, but moons and teepees will not be tolerated. Poor moon.




Facing west toward the rainy and green side of the Gorge...


...versus facing east toward the high desert where it is rumored to be dry and sunny {a rumor I think is completely false}.



A pat on the back to anyone who can spot Mt Hood in this picture. We were a tad disappointed it wasn't clearer skies.

So that's 15 out of 60 hikes thus far. I'm a fourth of the way through the book and summer is right around the corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I love seeing your hikes. I would like to take them, too.

Things to Do said...

Woo hoo for completing so many! And seriously your fourth picture is incredible.