3.15.2011

The One about the Weather

My state of being over the weather in Portland has reached critical mass. Seriously, it's bad. Every time I see someone on the train with luggage, obviously heading to the airport, I just stare at them longingly with puppy dogs eyes hoping they'll give me their ticket and let me go instead.

Why would I want to leave such a beautiful place? Because the last four months have looked like this:
December: 50 degrees, overcast with showers
January: 50 degrees, overcast with showers
February: 50 degrees, overcast with showers
March so far: 50 degrees, overcast with showers.

The only thing that changes is the amount of wind, which can get downright brutal. I've seen the sun maybe five times since the New Year. Last night, while on our evening walk, Mark finally admitted that a little more variation would be nice. Yes! Thank you! 65 degrees and sunny followed by 35 degrees and raining sounds fantastic! I don't care - just do something different!!!!

While everyone here seems to embrace the rain, I am a few clouds away from the loony bin. They say it's what makes it so green. Um, news flash people, the rest of the country isn't exactly a brown wasteland shriveling up into dust!! Green can exist in perfect harmony with sun and rain!

The other thing people say is to just wait for summer. Summer will make it all worth it. I'm sorry. I don't care if it's 80 degrees with money falling from the sky, those two months of weather-glory will not make up for 10 months of 50 degrees, overcast with showers.

So once our tour of duty is over here, we are seriously considering a move to a drier, sunnier climate. Arizona, Death Valley, the Atacama Desert...the Sahara. Seriously, all good.

1 comment:

Teagan said...

oh, tracy, i love you. wish i could send you some sunshine.