Between a full-time job and part-time freelance work, my body and brain have become severely "computer over-saturated". But since today has been one of those Saturdays where neither of us can be bothered to get out of our pajamas and leave the house {although there are rumors we may go to the grocery store}, I figured now is the time to rally {pressing through my twitching eye and agonizing neck pain} and fill you in on last weekend's coastal adventure.
We had every intention last weekend of going to Vancouver, BC but when the time came neither of us wanted to spend the money knowing we'd inevitably return in the summer for some hiking. Instead we did a two-day trip along the Oregon Coast, starting about three hours south in Florence and then working our way north toward home. Saturday was almost perfect weather. Sunbursts with clouds. Sunday was the more typical "cloudbursts with clouds". Oh well. I'll take what I can get.
We had every intention last weekend of going to Vancouver, BC but when the time came neither of us wanted to spend the money knowing we'd inevitably return in the summer for some hiking. Instead we did a two-day trip along the Oregon Coast, starting about three hours south in Florence and then working our way north toward home. Saturday was almost perfect weather. Sunbursts with clouds. Sunday was the more typical "cloudbursts with clouds". Oh well. I'll take what I can get.
Fun Fact: The entire Oregon coastline is public land. No area is privately owned, which means the public has access to every piece of it.

In December and January, gray whales migrate south along the Oregon coast and then return north in the spring. Even though it's a little late in the season, Mark kept watch for hours. Unfortunately no luck this time, but we plan to return in late March for "Whale Week". Fortunately however, we did see our fair share of sea lions.


In addition to a sea cave filled with noisy, smelly sea lions, we also stumbled upon the shortest lighthouse we've ever seen. Then we settled in for a nice sunset before continuing north to Newport to tuck in for the night.
A Traveler's Confession: I consider myself a fairly easy-going traveler except for one thing: accommodations. I hate hotels, even nice ones. I think they are gross. Seriously, thousands of people sleeping on the same mattress. Yuck. So when we arrived in Newport and discovered every hotel was booked, my mood deteriorated immediately. We were told the hotels were full because it was a BIG three-day weekend {only in Oregon is President's Day weekend considered a major holiday. I hate to think what 4th of July will be like. Go ahead and book your hotel now if you plan on coming. Even then, it may be too late.} We ended up finding a room in a motel for 50 dollars. The motel had a red blinking sign that said "Motel" - never a good sign. So it was bad, although definitely not the worst. That honor still goes to the Cambridge Inn in Cambridge, Maryland. Sorry Lottie, but I'm fairly sure that hotel was a meth-house, at least in the back part where they stuck Mark and I.

In addition to a sea cave filled with noisy, smelly sea lions, we also stumbled upon the shortest lighthouse we've ever seen. Then we settled in for a nice sunset before continuing north to Newport to tuck in for the night.
A Traveler's Confession: I consider myself a fairly easy-going traveler except for one thing: accommodations. I hate hotels, even nice ones. I think they are gross. Seriously, thousands of people sleeping on the same mattress. Yuck. So when we arrived in Newport and discovered every hotel was booked, my mood deteriorated immediately. We were told the hotels were full because it was a BIG three-day weekend {only in Oregon is President's Day weekend considered a major holiday. I hate to think what 4th of July will be like. Go ahead and book your hotel now if you plan on coming. Even then, it may be too late.} We ended up finding a room in a motel for 50 dollars. The motel had a red blinking sign that said "Motel" - never a good sign. So it was bad, although definitely not the worst. That honor still goes to the Cambridge Inn in Cambridge, Maryland. Sorry Lottie, but I'm fairly sure that hotel was a meth-house, at least in the back part where they stuck Mark and I.
3 comments:
Really great pictures, Tracy. You're gooooood.
ditto what Marta said about your photography - will you give me lessons?
haha! you thought that was a meth house - you should have seen the place we were staying!!! VERY BAD. Am surprised we didn't get murdered in our sleep. hee hee.
Post a Comment