6.27.2010

Moonbow

Full Moon - Check. Clear Skies - Check. Patience...not so much.

Late yesterday afternoon Mark and I headed north to Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, one of only two places in the world where you can see a moonbow with any regularity. We didn't realize, however, that it wouldn't appear until at least 11:30, if at all, and while I was perfectly content to leave, Mark's motto was After waiting four hours, what's one more? I blame the humidity. It put both of us into a wild state of delirium where we bounced between manic giggle fits and sluggish malaise. We seriously couldn't tell if we were sweating or condensating.

But we waited, along with all of Kentucky and a few suckers from Tennessee. And then, when nothing magical appeared and my watch read 11:31, I declared it a success and insisted we drive home tout-suite. Nothing stands between me and a good night's sleep. Not even the moonbow.

a) Cumberland Falls, the Niagara of the South, b) Grumpy Mark next to Grumpy Rock Face Man (Yes, I know Mark needs new clothes), and c) Bedazzle Hat Tracy, just another priceless souvenir for purchase at the Cumberland Falls Gift Shop.


{Apparently the moonbow did finally appear, much later. To the naked eye it looks white. Only a camera will pick up the colors of the rainbow, but it requires a tripod and a very long exposure.}

No comments: