Saturday, while four members of my family were either flying to the Bahamas or Scotland*, Mark and I did the only thing we knew to do on a limited budget and little time off: we took to the Park. We've exhausted a large number of trails on the Tennessee side of the GSMNP, which means that most hikes now last about as long as the drive to get there. Yesterday we conquered the 7.4-mile Boogerman Loop in North Carolina.
And one lesson we are constantly reminded of: Never assume a mundane hike will stay that way. At mile five the clouds opened up and we were caught in a thunderstorm that left us both a little unnerved. Luckily I brought raincoats. Unluckily, they were in the car. Always be prepared. That's my motto.
*My dad and brother's Scotland-golfing adventure got cancelled due to that pesky Icelandic volcano. What a bummer.
1 comment:
I DON'T keep a set of eyes in my backpack! Should I?
Post a Comment