4.17.2010

A Journey :: or Constantinople?

For a couple who's travels have been limited to North America and Europe, Istanbul was an exotic place. Both the language and culture were completely foreign, and never in our lives had we heard the Muslim call to prayer, which is loud, almost pretty, and occurs multiple times a day...including each morning at six. Grumble. With the exception of the overbearing salesmen, we found the people incredibly friendly and were often met with random acts of kindness throughout the city. It was quite lovely and I applaud Mark for suggesting we add it to our travels.

The Bosphorus, pictured above, separates Europe from Asia and also divides the city. Unfortunately we didn't venture to the Asia side, but we've now seen Asia...if that counts for anything.

The abundance of tulips was completely unexpected. There were literally millions. Every park, median and green space was filled to the brim, thanks to a past sultan's obsession with these beautiful flowers. It was spectacular.

Mark's favorite meal was the one pictured above. I personally thought the bread resembled a giant amoeba, but Mark was completely satisfied. For most of the trip, my face more resembled the second shot. It says "What exactly did I just put in my mouth?"

And should you travel here at any point, we highly recommend staying at the Modern Sultan Hotel. It's incredibly convenient to the Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque, the owners are friendly, and the rooms clean. Plus, for 60 euros a night, it's a bargain.

4 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

Wow, I had a totally different adjective for the Muslim call to prayer than "pretty". I guess you weren't having to entertain two toddlers between the 6 a.m. call to prayer and the 8:30 a.m. breakfast.

And I LOVE your pictures - so gorgeous. It's good to see Istanbul in nicer weather. I spent the whole time staring at the ground so my hood would stay up and I wouldn't slip on any black ice.

Evan and Marta said...

Great pictures!
And congratulations on all the exciting map work. Way to go, Tracy. I think you're cool.

Dana said...

Again chick your pics are amazing!

lottie said...

I must say that your recent photos has inspired me to try again and show a greater interest!! We would have no photos of South America if it wasn't for Guillaume;-)