We started our trip in Athens and stayed with some friends who live there. We couldn't be more grateful for their hospitality. Athens could have easily overwhelmed us in our jet-lagged state, but instead we had our own private chauffeur, cozy beds, and a shower larger than a 2x2 square.
Naturally we visited the Acropolis and some other ruins during our stay. I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about them. That's Mark's thing. I'm rather indifferent to all the history and prefer to simply stroll the streets, which we did on Day 2. So apologies for the severe lack of historical information contained within this post, and any that follow.
For lunch one afternoon, Adrianna took us to her favorite gyro (pronounced euro) place near Monastiraki Square. Two gyros and a soda for four euros is a bargain my friend. Since I'm not much of a meat eater (a problem that plagued me the entire trip), the innards of my gyro went to the closest stray cat.

Many thanks to the Appl's for hosting us in Athens. It was the perfect start to a fantastic vacation. Although the bed was cozy and the company lovely, what we valued most was the sunscreen. Seriously Adrianna, you prevented us from resembling charred briquettes during our time in Santorini. Thank you.
Fun Fact: You can't flush toilet paper in Greece. It's really quite annoying. It all must be tossed in a little bin near the commode. I'm baffled as to how a civilization so old has yet to perfect the toilet.
Now, if you'll excuse me, it's 3 o'clock in the afternoon and I am seriously ready for bed. Jet-lag...grumble.
1 comment:
Great pics! The gyros look so different from the ones we have here. I love them with just a little meat and heavy everything else ESPECIALLY cucumber sauce! I really like that pic with the blue keychains was it?
Post a Comment