3.10.2010

I Heart Pizza

I have a serious pizza problem. I eat it at least twice a week, and since last Thursday alone, I've had pizza four times (and we're not talking a single slice here people). It's really quite remarkable I don't weigh 400 pounds.

In an attempt to get back on track with my 30 before 30 list, I decided to tackle Number 5: Learn to make a good Neapolitan-style pizza. I purchased a baking stone, picked up lots of fresh ingredients, and found myself a stellar recipe. I even took a pizza class.

The process wasn't without its setbacks. Inspiration and determination make me no less of an idiot in the kitchen. I took a wild guess on how to assemble our blender and ended up with tomato sauce everywhere. I also decided to kneed my pizza dough with a hand-held mixer. That dough wrapped around those beaters like Taffy. Not good. Plus I collected a few burn marks. It is never, I repeat, never, a good idea to assemble a pizza inside the oven. A hot oven. Set at its highest possible temperature. Your retinas will burn off. I promise. By the end our kitchen was a disaster. My motto: 'Why use the same utensil twice when there's another clean one in the drawer.' It drives Mark crazy. And creates quite the mess.

Regardless, the pizza turned out great! My second attempt last night was even better. It's no Hard Knox or Fritti's, but I'm pleased. I told Mark that if I wanted a truly delicious pizza, I would just go buy one, but as far as homemade goes, this worked for me. Then he said the most ridiculous thing to me. "What if we move somewhere that doesn't have pizza?" Seriously, why would I ever move somewhere that doesn't have pizza? I've never heard such a stupid question.

3 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

that place would be greece. Also, your pizza looks pretty darn good to me. If those green smudges are basil, I'd say it's perfect.

Evan and Marta said...

That pizza looks amazing. When are we coming over? By the way, it sounds like you need a pizza paddle so you can assemble the pizza on the counter then slide it onto the stone. hahaha.

Kaye Jackson said...

Way to go! Pizza is not easy and it looks delicious. I did have to laugh at your methods, though.