9.21.2009

No. 1: Make a Big Life Decision

I didn't actually choose the first task on my 30 before 30 list, it chose me...and on Monday time was up and I had to mark 'Number One' off my list.

Dilemma: Last week I was offered two jobs - one at the US Census Bureau, located near DC, and the other at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Although the decision seems obvious (the Census job sounds cool and moves us back to DC), it hasn't been so cut and dry.

Decision: This is probably the first time in my life I've ever exercised patience - we're staying put and delaying the move to DC. This has been an extremely difficult decision and the stress has no doubt aged me by 10 years (Which means I might finally look my age. Ha!). I couldn't provide the Census with the type of commitment they deserved, and since the position didn't necessarily knock my socks off, I let it go. So in the meantime I'll continue freelancing, regroup financially, and keep looking for something more in line with Mark's and my vision for our lives. Oh, and I start my new position at ORNL in October.

* I feel like I should clarify one potentially confusing thing about 30 before 30; not all things on this list are new. I've done several of these activities many times (camping, painting, acts of service, etc). There are repeats and thankfully so. It means I've found things in life I enjoy doing and want to do again.

1 comment:

Lottie said...

melikes profund TP on a rainy evening in london after a long days work:-)